26 January, 2009

Ushering in the Year of the Ox

It's a funny old world. Even as many of my industry peers in the conference and publishing business are anxiously slimming down their operations, I've never seen Alphabet with such a full sales pipeline.

Our first event of the year, Government Information Forum in Singapore, has broken all records for the numbers of sponsors and delegates signed up for our longest running government IT event. Meanwhile FutureGov and Asian Security Review magazines have never been so well supported by the solutions provider communities. I almost have to pinch myself when I say it, but business is booming.

Perhaps it was ever meant to be this way. I remember five years ago, when drafting the business plan required to support my application for an 'Entrepreneur Pass' in Singapore, I mentioned that one of the benefits of establishing a business focused on providing content to the regional public sector was that it was "a great counter-cyclical". And so it seems.

So even as the marketing pie shrinks, there seems to be a rush to quality media platforms, as well as a rush to public sector markets. On both counts Alphabet scores. Because we only do public sector, we really know what we're talking about. And as importantly, government, education and healthcare decision-makers know us.

Because there's nothing quite as nauseating as someone mouthing off about how clever and successful they are, I'll conclude by saying that the Alphabet team is lucky to find itself in the right place at the right time. Now it's time to roll up our sleeves and make sure we work hard to deliver for our government readers and delegates - as well as the companies that work with us to reach them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home